Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You are who you think you are

I believe in the saying “You are who you think you are”. For we all know that God created us with us with our minds over our hearts. God created us to think rationally and positively, to dream and to strive to realize those dreams.

I still can recall what my Psychology 1 instructor told our class one day. He said, “Class, if you think you are intelligent, you act like one. Because if you think you are intelligent, you study hard so that you will excel in class. What we feel is all in the state of mind.”

His words struck me for a moment. As I began to ponder on his words, I put my life into a perspective. It was then that I realized that he had a point.

This is because not until three years ago, I used to be a meek and loner person. I had a very low self-esteem. I used to be suspicious of other people and trusting them was not on my vocabulary. Instead, I created my own world where I was the queen; I was the most beautiful, the most intelligent.

But of course, living in a world of fantasy only showed how great my frustrations were. I think, God, already intervened and made his way to teach me a lesson.

It happened one day when I was walking along the side of the road at 6 o’clock in the morning, a fast- running car almost hit me. I was shocked and startled for minutes, I thought I was dead.

As my subconscious was running, my inner thoughts were telling me: “Poor you little girl, you are going to die without saying goodbye to your loved ones, without thanking them, without telling them how much you love them; worst, you are going to die just as nobody!”

After that, a loud shout from the driver brought me into the real world. I was really scared. What if I really had been dead? Hours followed that I spent in into crying. I was telling myself, I am not going to die as a worthless person. I wanted to become somebody.

When I went home, I prayed and talked to my creator. Everything happens on purpose. I was created with a purpose. Since that life-turning incident, I tried my best to change myself.

It was a very hard task to do but with God’s grace, I managed to encourage myself, little by little. Gradually, I taught my self to love my own. I started to give my smile to strangers; I started to dress well. I started to study hard and excelled in class. For the first time, I was recognized by other people. I started to be friendly. I started to open up myself to other people Had I known that having many friends feel great, I should have changed myself a long time ago.

It’s been three years of journey, I feel tired sometimes but as the saying goes, “If you think you can, you will” I continue to struggle with life for me to reach my dreams. Step by step, with my Creator’s grace, I am almost there.
Our mind is very powerful, so we must fill it with all the positive things. Let us live our lives to the fullest, with a purpose, and full of hope.

No comments: